Nike Partners with the NFL to Grow Girls Flag Football in the U.S.
VOTE FLAG IN YOUR STATE https://www.11onfootball.com/flag
Collaborating to inspire the next generation of female athletes, Nike announces a new grant initiative with the NFL that commits a total of $5 million in product to growing flag football within high school athletics.
This multi-year initiative will provide a one-time donation of up to $100,000 in product to state athletic associations that offer girls flag football as a high school sport or demonstrate progress by way of a pilot program beginning in 2021. First to receive the grant will be the state of Florida, which has promoted girls flag football for more than ten years and is the home state of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Product will include flag football uniforms, socks and accessories such as sports bras, all of which will be distributed to each participating state’s governing interscholastic or athletic association at their discretion. At present, only six states sanction high school flag football for girls (Alaska, Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Nevada and New York), but financial support may help remove operational barriers so more states can introduce girls flag football programs.
“The expansion of girls flag football is essential to the growth of the game and preservation of the values it has contributed to society for decades,” says Troy Vincent, NFL Executive Vice President of Football Operations. “Girls flag demonstrates that football is for all, and the greater the participation, the stronger the game, and the more young women can build the transferrable skills football provides for achieving success in life.”
In addition to the grant initiative, Nike is evolving its 11-Online football training series to include a learning track specifically for flag football athletes. It will feature how-to drills with comprehensive training instruction, including team-building and leadership development. In addition, Nike’s Stronger Than One Series will launch a film focused on highlighting women and young girls who are blazing paths forward in football.
Women Featured in Stronger Than One Series
• Cristi Bartlett (Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach, Tennessee Titans)
• Cynthia Frelund (Lead Analytics Analyst, NFL Network)
• Maral Javadifar (Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach, Tampa Bay Buccaneers)
• Darcie Glazer Kassewitz (Co-Owner, Tampa Bay Buccaneers)
• Jennifer King (Assistant Running Backs Coach, Washington Football Team)
• Lori Locust (Assistant Defensive Line Coach, Tampa Bay Buccaneers)
• Chelsea Romero (Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach, Los Angeles Rams)
• Katie Sowers (Former Offensive Assistant, San Francisco 49ers)
• Colleen Wolfe (Host, NFL Network)
• Emily Zaler (Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach, Denver Broncos)